Table of content
- Importance of balanced nutrition
- Relation of Indian cuisine with nutrition
- Essential Indian food for balanced nutrition
- Yogurt/ curd
- leafy vegetables
- Rice and flour
Although Indian cuisine is famous for its deep-fried and spicy food still we can follow a healthy diet in Indian cuisine. However, it can be challenging to design a perfect healthy Indian diet. One of the reasons is the variety available and the variation in the climate, that one diet cannot suit everyone. People with some health conditions cannot eat some foods. Moreover, a lot of options become eliminated for a lot of vegetarians.
The style of cooking and the ingredients used differ based on the season. The region, family traditions, and religion. Indian food culture has evolved through interactions with neighboring ancient Greece, Persia, and the Middle East in response to centuries of cross-cultural exchange. Spices and complex aromas are hallmarks of Indian cuisine. It is important to note, however, that Indian cuisine is not only about taste- It contains plenty of nutrients, so it is a good healthy option for those who are looking for something tasty.
Corriander leaf is a place if you want to enjoy some delicious Indian dishes. Our serene ambiance has been architectured so that it helps you feel relaxed and enjoy every bite of your food. Moreover, we ensure that you experience its feel and taste exquisitely without having to worry about emptying your pockets.
Importance of balanced nutrition
Term balanced diet refers to a diet that supplies the nutrients to the body required to work efficiently. Furthermore, the absence of balanced nutrition makes the body more prone to infection, disease, fatigue, and low performance. The absence of balanced nutrition in childhood can lead to poor academic performance, developmental and growth problems, and frequent infections.
Not following a balance in childhood can lead to unhealthy eating habits. Moreover, it has been recorded that the leading causes of death are directly linked to diet.
- heart disease
- type 2 diabetes
Relation of Indian cuisine with nutrition
Along with fragrant spices and detectable flavors, Indian dishes are very popular around the world. Furthermore, Indian cuisine boasts a wide variety of nutrients in a balanced quantity. The cuisine serves a variety of rich flavors. We love our roti-sabzi, dal-chawal, maach-bhaat and idli-sambhar. Indian food is so diverse that it changes every 10 kilometers. Rotis, rice, subzis, and many categories of fruit are present in the food. Indian cuisine is colorful in every aspect.
According to Indian science, Ayurveda, The food of Indian cuisine is enough and complete for our bodies. We do not require any foreign foods as our beans, legumes, fruits, grains, and vegetables provide us with sufficient carbohydrates, fat, fiber, vitamins, proteins, and minerals.
Moreover, even though we are predominantly a vegetarian nation, still Indian cuisine is enough to meet the nutrient requirements.
However, the food you consume can be completely healthy only if prepared with hygiene. Corriander Leaf takes the health of its customers as its top priority. Additionally, the food prepared here is of the highest hygiene standard. We at Corriander leaf believe that the way to our customer’s hearts is not just through their stomach. It is through their soul. So, we make sure that our services become the soul of each and every event irrespective of how big or small they are.
Essential Indian foods for balanced nutrition
Here is a list of some common Indian foods that must be a part of every diet for balanced nutrition. However, in case you suffer from any health condition make sure you consult your doctor about what you can and cannot eat included in your diet.
Although, not an option for the vegetarians. But still they are an excellent source of protein for those who eat them. Indian cuisine uses eggs in various low-calorie Indian foods, such as egg curry, to add flavor. Moreover, if you vary in consuming the yolk containing cholesterol. You can only consume the egg white and it can help to provide the essential minerals and nutrients to your body. Furthermore, you can add eggs to almost any dish to make it taste delicious.
Health benefits of eggs:
- Rich in nutrients like betaine and choline.
- Are a great source of inexpensive and high-quality protein.
- Moreover, eggs are also high in cholesterol, although they don’t adversely affect the blood cholesterol.
- One egg a day for six months, along with a diet of reduced sugar- sweetened foods, will help them achieve a healthy diet and prevent stunting.
Dahi is what most Indians call yogurt. Curd is among the most commonly available food items in India. The yogurt tends to change its quality in response to climate. In the drier regions, the curd tends to be creamier and watery in the humid climate. Furthermore, curd contains the good bacteria that is lactobacillus bacteria. The bacteria keeps us healthy and helps in digesting food. The yogurt comprises a large amount of potassium, vitamin B, and calcium.
Health benefits of yogurt :
- Contains an impressive amount of proteins.
- Furthermore, yogurt also contains probiotics or live bacteria that were either added after pasteurization or starter culture.
- Mostly it is consumed because it is known for containing a lot of calcium necessary for healthy bones and teeth. Only one cup of yogurt is sufficient to provide 49% of your daily calcium needs.
- Consuming yogurt regularly can help to strengthen the immune system and reduce the chances of you being ill.
There are a large number of dishes having leafy vegetables in Indian cuisine. Green leafy vegetables are already very popular in the Indian diet. However, they should be used more. Leafy vegetables are a part of Indian food with low calories. Spinach is a leafy vegetable available throughout the year all over the country. However, depending on the place you live in you can find many varieties of leafy greens. The green leafy vegetables are loaded with vitamin K, iron, nutrients, and minerals. Furthermore, these vegetables prevent a lot of diseases, even cancer.
Health benefits of leafy vegetables:
- Mustard greens and kale can lower cholesterol.
- Leafy vegetables produce energy and help fuel your body.
- Slightly bitter taste of green leafy vegetables is an indicator of high levels of calcium.
- These vegetables decrease the risk of cataracts, preserve vision health, and help increase how far you can see.
Also Known as cottage cheese. It is a mainstay of a vegetarian diet. Indian cuisine contains many dishes which have paneer as its main ingredients like Kadai paneer, palak paneer, and shahi paneer. However, paneer made from a full cream should be avoided. Paneer made from toned milk contains less fat and cholesterol. It would be recommended to make paneer at home. The paneer contains high quantities of calcium and protein.
However, there have been cases of selling fake and bad quality paneer. Therefore, if you plan to eat outside make sure you eat the dish at a trusted place. Corriander Leaf never compromises the quality of ingredients used in a dish. All our delicacies are made from fresh farm-picked ingredients to maintain both the nutritional quality and the authentic taste of your food.
Health benefits of paneer:
- Paneer is made up of protein. Moreover, it releases energy slowly which means it does not give an instant boost which drops soon. Furthermore, it does not cause a spike in one’s blood sugar levels.
- Paneer is a good source of proteins, especially for vegetarians.
- Paneer can be a great source of conjugated linoleic acid. It is a fatty acid that helps loose weight by increasing the fat-burning process in the body.
- Prevents various problems like gum problems and tooth decay, diseases like osteoporosis, and joint pain.
Indian cuisine is very rich in grains for vegetarians as well as for non-vegetarians. Just like rice and flour, pulses are an equal part of our staple. Thankfully, we have a large variety of pulses available and we can maintain variety in your diet. The pulses are rich in vitamins A, B, C, and E and dietary fiber. Moreover, they also contain minerals like iron, calcium, zinc, and potassium. Furthermore, pulses are the major source of protein in a diet of a vegetarian person.
Health benefits of Pulses:
- Pulses are a healthy source of protein.
- More pulses in a person’s diet may lower your risk of cardiovascular disease.
- The glycemic index of pulses is very low.
Rice and flour
Wheat and rice are the most famous grains in Indian cuisine. Rice and flour are eaten on a regular basis in Indian households. However, it is recommended to switch to brown rice because it contains more fiber. Furthermore, the move toward whole wheat flour has been more successful. Switch to brown bread from white bread as the wheat flour has its benefits over white flour. Shifting to wheat flour will provide Indian food with low calories in your diet.
Health benefits of rice and flour:
- They are high in protein and contain a high level of vitamin B.
- Brown rice along with beans, nuts, and vegetables such as potatoes and cauliflower- all foods that provide plenty of fiber can be helpful in constipation.
- Moreover, rice also contains the substance that helps waste material move through the intestines.
Idli is a famous South Indian breakfast as well as Indian food with low calories. Another dish which is among those that have made Indian dishes popular. Furthermore, they are often thought of as the breakfast versions of dosa. Idli is eaten at the start of the day. It is a type of light-savory rice cake. Use the battery consisting of fermented rice and black lentil. Moreover, the dish is dangerously easy to eat. They prepare the batter by steaming the batter. Idli is a dish that is pretty bland therefore these pancakes are accompanied by coconut-based chutneys, spicy fish curries, and usually sambhar. Moreover, many different varieties of idli have evolved so you can choose among them.
Health benefits of idli:
- Rich in carbohydrates and low in calories.
- They are very easy to digest.
- It can prove to be helpful for people who want to keep a check on their weight.
People of south India widely consume ragi. The cereals are a famous and nutritional part of Indian cuisine. Furthermore, ragi is used to prepare a large variety of dishes like ragi dosa, ragi halwa, ragi idli, and many more. However, ragi has several health benefits but yet it should not be consumed in excess. Moreover, people with kidney disease should strictly avoid eating it. If taken in a proper amount it can provide you with many health benefits. Ragi is a part of Indian cuisine that prepares dishes that are part of low-calorie low-calorie Indian food. Therefore, you should add ragi to your daily diet to ensure a balanced and healthy diet.
Health benefits of ragi :
- Natural Weight Loss Agent
- Prevents your Skin from Aging:
- High Protein
- Ragi Keeps you Relaxed
- Ragi is Good for your Hair
- Good Digestion
- Prevents Diabetes:
- Ragi has loads of Calcium
- Prevents Colon Cancer
The dish is a part of Gujarati cuisine. It is a vegetarian snack made up of rice and split chickpeas. The dish is very delicious, unlike the name. Dhokla is eaten as breakfast, snack, side dish, or lunch by the Gujaratis. Furthermore, dhokla is a low-calorie Indian food. The recipe for the dish is not simple. Moreover, it takes hours of preparation. Soak rice and chickpeas in equal quantities overnight. Next, add chili, ginger, coriander, and baking powder to add spice to the dhokla. It helps the dish to have delicious bite-size morsels. Furthermore, serve the dish with coriander chutney and deep-fried chili, this delicious Gujarati dish is wonderfully moreish.
As we all know that snacking comes so naturally to us as Indians. Therefore, Indian cuisine includes some of the best starters and snacks. Moreover, dhokla rules hearts across the world. Furthermore, a combination of beans, yogurt, baking powder, semolina, and lime juice makes the dish complete.
In the blog, we showed you that Indians can be healthy. The food culture of India has a complex history and is rich. Deliciously spiced and packed with health-promoting nutrients, Indian cuisine has something for everyone. The dishes listed above provide us with a glimpse into the tremendous variety of Indian cuisine.
At Corriander Leaf we are committed to providing excellent service to all of our guests, no matter the occasion. Furthermore, in case you are planning a large event or an intimate dinner party, our team is here to take care of your every need.